Site logo

Second Year Working Holiday Visa – Complete Guide

male backpacker jumping in front of Uluro with the text Second Year Working Holiday Visa - Complete Guide

Wanting to stay in Australia for longer but not sure how to get a second year visa?

Awesome! You’ve found yourself in the right place, there are so many great opportunities to work and travel here in Australia and completing a second year working holiday visa is a great option to continue enjoying our great country.

I’m here to guide you through the second-year visa application process. It’s actually relatively simple and you can do it yourself! In this guide, I’ll provide you with all the requirements and information you need to complete the process on your own.

I am pleased to inform you that as of July 1, 2019 working holiday visa holders on subclass 417 and 462 visas are eligible to apply for a third year visa. See my complete third year visa guide to understand this process.

Jump Links

1. Requirements

The same requirements that apply for the first working holiday visa are applicable for the second year visa you must meet the following requirements.

1.1 Age

You must be between the age of 18 – 30 to apply for both subclass 417 and subclass 462.

If you hold a passport from the following countries the age increases to 35 years old for subclass 417:


The application date can be up to one day before your 31st or 36th birthday (if you’re from an eligible country). Although I suggest giving yourself more time.

If you turn 31 or 36 (eligible countries) while a decision is being made you can still be granted the second year visa.

1.2 Current or previous visa

To be eligible for a second year working holiday visa in Australia you must have completed the following:

If you haven’t applied for a first year working holiday visa yet see our guide on how to get the first working holiday visa.

1.3 Have Enough Money

If you are applying from within Australia you don’t need to provide evidence of funds. 

If you are applying from outside Australia you need to provide evidence of $5,000 AUD to show you can support yourself and purchase onward travel when your visa expires.

This link shows you more details about the Approved Jobs that are eligible for the second year visa.

1.4 Specified Work

Have completed the 88 days of specified work. See section 2 for more details.

1.5 Postcodes

Australia is a huge country that has a lot of remote and regional Areas. It is important to check the postcode to make sure they are eligible for the second year visa, this is especially important for subclass 462 as the postcodes are mostly in Regional Australia.

Here you can find the eligible postcodes for Subclass 417

Here you can find the eligible postcodes for Subclass 462.

Here you can find the Eligible Postcodes for every eligible industry, be sure to check it before you relocate yourself to a new job or region.

Other Requirements

2. Specified Work

The Second year visa requires you to have completed a total of 3 months or 88 days in Regional Areas of Australia in specific industries. The areas are slightly different depending if you hold a Subclass 417 or Subclass 462 Visa.

The most popular industries for Second Year Visa Jobs Australia for subclass 417 and 462 are:

The following are also eligible:

*The industries remain the same but the eligible areas differ for subclass 462 and are mostly limited to Northern or specific Regional Areas in Australia. Refer to the areas listed under Subclass 462 to ensure the area is eligible.

3. Costs

The cost to apply for the second year visa is $630 AUD. The application won’t be processed until this amount has been paid.

4. Application Process

The visa can be applied for inside or outside of Australia. It can be done by post but I strongly recommend that you do the process online.

Applying online is a relatively simple process, all relevant documents can be submitted online.

4.1 Required Documents

To make your application an easy and smooth process, get all your documents together. If you are submitting online, you can supply a clear colour photo or PDF.

Required Documents you will need are:

Second form of Identification 1 of the following:

4.1.1 Proof of Funds

If applying outside Australia a bank statement showing $5,000 AUD of available funds. No requirement if applying within Australia

4.1.2 Proof of 3 months of eligible work

You will need to demonstrate you have completed 3 months of eligible work from the Approved Jobs subclass 417 and Approved Jobs Subclass 462

Evidence can be provided with the following documents:

Note: You may be asked for more information about your employment or checks may be made with your employer.

4.1.3 Character Documents

An Australian Police Certificate may be required. However, this will be requested if you are required to have one.

4.1.4 Translation

All non-english documents must be translated into English using a translator that is Accredited by the National Accreditation Authority of Translators and Interpreters

4.2 Applying Online

work holiday visa application process infographic

Once you’ve got all your documents follow these steps to apply:

  1. Log in or create an ImmiAccount
  2. Attach documents
  3. Pay the application fee (Guide on how to pay)
  4. Take note of the Transaction Reference Number.

5. After You Apply What Happens?

You’ve submitted your application, well done! Now what happens? The visa processing times are relatively fast for the Second Year Working Holiday Visa subclass 417 and subclass 462. As of July 2023, processing times are listed on Immigration Australia as:

Processing times for subclass 417 Working Holiday Visa are as follows:

If everything is in order you are highly likely to have your result in less than 2 weeks.

Processing times for subclass 462 are slightly longer and are as follows:

However, you will need to closely monitor your application to see if you are required to supply more information. Additional information that may be required is:

6. Tips/Important Bits

6.1 Travel after Applying

If you intend on traveling outside of Australia while your application is being processed you will need to let Immigration Australia know. If you applied within Australia you will need to be in Australia when the decision is made. This is especially important for subclass 462 because the processing times are longer.


Make sure you have a valid visa to return to Australia. The application you submitted for the second year working holiday visa does not count as a valid visa as the decision won’t have been made until you are back in Australia.

6.1.1 Applying outside of Australia

If you have left Australia even just for a holiday and you submit your application while you are outside Australia you will need to wait outside Australia until a decision is made before you return to Australia.

6.2 There are differences in eligible areas Subclass 417 and 462 visas

The eligible areas differ for subclass 417 and subclass 462. You have likely made some friends while you are working and travelling in Australia. You may want to go as a group and do your regional work together. Please note not all areas are eligible under both visa subclasses. I have heard all too often that someone tried to do their 88 days with their friends or partner and they hold different visa subclasses therefore the days they completed were not eligible. Take extra care, don’t let this happen to you.

6.3 Payslips

other important tips for applying second or Third Year Working Holiday Visa

The best and easiest way to prove you have completed your eligible days for your third year visa is to have regular payslips from your employer and payment into an Australian Bank account. The pay slip should specify the pay period and even better if it specifies the days and hours worked. 

You may come across some jobs (often farms and construction) where they suggest paying you in cash and/or don’t give you a payslip. I strongly advise against working in these jobs because not having a payslip or bank account deposit makes it very difficult to prove the number of days you worked. Also, it can be illegal and/or you are at risk of not receiving a fair pay rate.

Let’s face it, an employer who is willing to bend the rules and pay you cash and/or without a pay slip may not be very helpful in confirming your employment information or days worked when Immigration Australia calls.


6.4 Start Accumulating Your Days Early

Take the pressure off yourself, and start accumulating your days early into your second year visa. The amount of working holidaymakers we have encountered that were running around in the last few months or weeks of their visa trying to get their eligible days is too many to count. 

Remember you have no control over the weather, sometimes you may not be able to work due to the weather or lack of work so allow for plenty of time to get your days.

We can help you with finding jobs that are eligible for your visa days. Just take a look at our Jobs Page

6.5 Postcodes

I can’t stress this enough, make sure you are doing eligible work from the specified Approved Jobs subclass 417 and Approved Jobs Subclass 462  with an Eligible Postcode for a second year visa.

This list has changed over the years, don’t just rely on the employer telling you it’s eligible, they may be desperate for a worker or not up to date with the rules. I recommend always check yourself.

7. FAQ

Unfortunately no, unless you are paid for working that day, not working due to severe weather doesn’t count towards your days.

If you are paid for a public holiday or sick day as part of your contract it can be counted as an eligible day. If you are not paid it will not count towards eligible days.

If the variable shift work is normal for the industry and is a full time arrangement, rest days will count.  For example, if you work 14 days straight then have 14 days off for rest all 28 days will count. Make sure you keep a copy of your employment agreement. Note this is often not normal for farm work, hospitality, or construction.

This is possible. However, you will need to let Immigration Australia know of your intended travel. If you apply in Australia you need to be inside Australia while a decision is made.

No, leaving the country for any length of time doesn’t change the visa expiry date.

Yes not a problem you can leave and come back as many times as you like within your visa period.

Tourism, hospitality, construction, and pearling are just some of the jobs that qualify for the 2nd-year Visa. However, keep in mind that the list of approved jobs keeps changing. Always double-check for yourself.

You can apply for up to 3 Working Holiday Visa in Australia assuming you have completed the requirements needed for each visa.

Forgot Password